“I love you” is a complicated phrase.
When used at the wrong point in a relationship, it can really throw a wrench in things. Have you ever had a guy tell you “I love you…” before you were ready to say the same? And whereas before everything was going smoothly, suddenly things become awkward and strained?
When I was dating, it was a huge turn-off for me if a guy started professing his love for me before we’d dated long…it came across as needy and desperate!
Because the words “I love you” can carry so much weight, it is important not to use them until a certain point in the relationship.
But sometimes, in the early days of dating someone, your emotions run high and you really feel like you are falling in love! And you just want to say so!!
So I’ve come up with some alternative phrases to “I love you”. These express connection and affection without being overwhelming or demanding a response.
Here they are!
- When I’m with you, I feel peaceful and safe.
- You are really good at meeting my need for (insert need).
- I feel happier now that you’re in my life.
- I feel really strong emotions when I am with you. I don’t know what they mean yet and am still figuring that out but I wanted you to know.
- I’m in like with you!
- The way you treat me makes me feel incredible.
- I respect and admire you.
- I deeply care about you.
- I’m excited to discover even more about you.
- I love the direction our relationship is going.
- Using different words to express your emotions shows intelligence and depth. Often, saying something other than “I love you” actually carries more meaning.
These phrases can be useful at any point in a relationship, not just the beginning.
Are you wondering how to communicate more effectively with your partner?
Do you sometimes feel like he doesn’t “hear” you even when he is listening?
Sometimes it can be hard to see exactly what is happening in your relationship because your judgement is clouded by strong emotions. Having a third perspective can bring you clarity and confidence to fill the gaps and frustrations you are experiencing! Book a free one-on-one coaching call with me today.
Do you avoid using this word when you’re dating…
Oct 12, 2022